I currently live in a country I have grown to despise, a country in fact pretty much despised by most of the world and worse yet, I'm applying to become a permanent resident of this country.
I never set out to look for things to dislike about this country, oh no, one of the despicable things about it is that it us so willing to provide a seemingly endless list. I don't search out what is wrong with it, this country but in my day to day activities it presents me with something new each and every day. Often it's not so much a completely new subject but more that for many subjects or topics each day brings yet another level of stupidity. Just when I think a particular subject (guns, religion, politics, laws, mentality, attitudes etc.) can't get any worse, when I think that the people can't sink to lower depths, BAM! it hits me with something new and does so almost proudly.
I can't stand it, it's slowly destroying me. I miss my home and often think about returning there. Of course it has it's own issues and just recently some of the politics have upset me, some of the horrible things people back home have done to others (violent crimes) upsets and angers me. But now I have a sense of scale and can see that actually my home country and its people are really quite lucky. As the saying goes, there's always someone worse off than you, in this case an entire country.
So why am I here? What brought me here and why do I stay?
Simple, love.
I love someone that calls this country "home" and because they don't want to leave it I made the sacrifice and moved to be with them. From day one though it was discussed as not being permanent, might be for many years but we talked about one day moving to my country or at least my continent.
But sometimes love isn't enough; love for them isn't always enough, not enough to stop the thoughts I have of returning home, not enough to overcome the negative feelings I have for their home country. Though in a perverse way my love for them can be measured by my loathing of their home.
But I still stay because I want to make it work, I want to be with them.
But what if simply loving them isn't enough?
It's not, of course it's not, I also need them to love me and make me feel loved. The love has to be mutual otherwise why would I stay.
Thankfully they do love me, some of them at least. Some of them love me enough to do what they can to help me see something good here, to help me when things get too much for me and to fight for us when I present to them a negative about me.
But what if their love isn't enough?
We have both had thoughts of taking the easy option, for me that is to leave, for them it is to leave me but so far love has been enough and we've fought to stay together even though it is the more difficult option.
We are currently in a situation that exasperates the whole situation, we live with Frankie's parents (Mum and step-dad) and whilst we are eternally grateful to them, we need to move out. Living in someone else's home produces stress and in turn this exaggerates the negative feelings. We recently took a huge blow to our future when a property we fell in love with and fought for for 5 months was sold from under us a few days before the closing date. The house represented a new start for us, it represented a path for us to be happy again, our future and our dreams were built (and rightly or wrongly to some extent were hinged on) on us moving their, to our own escape and new life together. When we lost it part of our world crashed around us, our dreams were taken from us and all the hopes of happiness were dashed. To try and explain that better what I mean is that we had so many "it'll be easier / better when we move" talks, we placed so much faith on moving to this house improving our relationship and on us being able to be happy again that when it failed it took a lot of that faith with it.
I wasn't going to say it because it's corny and predictable but... Sometimes love isn't enough...
It took a while but we moved on emotionally (mostly, certainly I still mourn the loss of that move) and we are again looking at places to live so we can move out. We again are building up the pressure of moving and the hope that things between us will get better when we move and have our own place. We need to move out and find ourselves again and to remember that we used to be happy and to be happy again. Because whilst we're here, whilst our current situation remains as it is, I'm scared that love isn't enough.
Its been a while, my man. Wondering how things are on your end as I haven't seen a post or a message or anything from you recently.
ReplyDelete